You might imagine the life of a bookkeeper is routine and rather dull. But like life in general, no two days are the same. And working with a great team and a fabulous mix of clients means it’s not quite as boring as you might think!
Step into our office and let us show you a typical day for the Bookit team.
The work day
Our workday might go like this:
- First things first: fetch a coffee (after all we have to get our priorities in order!)
- Review emails and daily schedule.
- Prepare a To Do list for the day.
- Respond to client queries – e.g. payroll queries, questions about GST, anything else!
- Have another coffee.
- Source information for a client – for example, find payroll information from the FairWork site or our partners HR Central.
- Answer calls, talk to clients over the phone.
- Process payroll for a client and send out payslips to the staff.
- Liaise with a trust account auditor, send through requested reports.
- Have lunch. And maybe another coffee.
- Log into multiple client files and reconcile transactions to their bank accounts, ensuring they are allocated to the correct categories on their Profit and Loss.
- Raise an invoice for a government grant for a not-for-profit client.
- Prepare a Cost estimate vs Cost to Date report for a client.
- More coffee.
- Review a client’s payments against a supplier statement, speak to the supplier about any issues.
- Lodge and pay superannuation for a client.
- Speak with a client’s accountant regarding end-of-year journals.
- Final coffee.
- Discuss queries within the team, provide answers and assistance to each other.
- And deal with whatever else pops up!
As you can see, caffeine keeps the Bookit office running smoothly!
The fun stuff
We do take our work seriously, but there’s no reason we can’t have a bit of fun as well. You can often find our team members singing along to the radio, dancing to the printer, sharing stories and swapping snacks. There’s never a dull moment in the Bookit office.
What we love about it all
Bookkeeping is not all about number-crunching. We get to help clients become more financially savvy and to improve their bottom line. It’s a good feeling to help relieve some of the stress that comes with managing business finances. We also get to interact with all kinds of people, and it’s never boring because there is always a new challenge or problem to solve.
But really? The absolute best thing for us are the relationships that we build over time with our clients. We get to watch their businesses grow, and we live through their challenges and achievements with them, offering support and expertise along the way. This is why we describe our firm as one that “partners” with business owners rather than one that just offers a service.
So, if you’re looking for a bookkeeping firm to partner with that offers more than faceless number crunching, don’t hesitate to contact us for a chat!